[pp.int.general] European citizens' Initiative - ID requirement & data retention

Jerry Weyer weyerjerry at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 19:48:34 CET 2012

Hi Justus,

As an expat, if you don't have an ID (and it is necessary to provide an ID
number to sign a petition) you can still sign the one in your home country.
There is a possibility to sign online so that should work easily!

Only thing is, as always with the "fortress" EU: it's limited to EU
citizens.

Kind regards,

Jerry

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 7:40 PM, Justus Römeth <squig at dfpx.de> wrote:

> If you are a German citizen living in another country you simply don't get
> an ID, just a passport (of course for students abroad this is a small issue
> as they can just keep being registered at their parents', but one of my
> friends family moved to Switzerland when she was young, she never owned an
> ID card (neither in CH nor later in F and NL). So that would certainly be a
> problem, or are expats now lesser citizens all of a sudden?
>
> On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 6:24 PM, Jerry Weyer <weyerjerry at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Andrew,
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Andrew Norton <ktetch at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> UK has the electoral role. It's updated annually, but also includes
>>> dates of birth (for those that turn 18 within a year of it being
>>> published), and it's available, unedited, for supervised viewing by
>>> ANYONE. Or you can buy a copy which doesn't include people that have
>>> 'opted out'. It's this version that 192.com searches, for instance.
>>>

>> We have a similar thing.
>>

>>> Other than that, as a brit, I don't really have any ID numbers. I've got
>>> my driving license (which is the old green EU paper one, not a
>>> photocard) and a NI card (somewhere) and of course my passport, but of
>>> these 3 official uk documents, only one is given to all citizens (NI)
>>> and then only the UK ones. An EU citizen in the UK wouldn't have them.
>>> (but they'd have their own id stuff, I guess)
>>>

>> So that's the reason why the UK is one of the countries not having an ID
>> number requirement :) Thanks or the info! So if the UK can check without ID
>> I guess other countries can too.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Jerry

Jerry Weyer