[pp.int.general] European citizens' Initiative - ID requirement & data retention

Georg Sinn georg.sinn at pirates-without-borders.org
Mon Jan 9 20:02:37 CET 2012

Additionally, Germany recent legislation, introducing the new plastic ID
cards with biometric data and optional (online) authentication function,
and implemented several steps to harmonize with European law. Therefore
German citizens not living in Germany are now able to get a Passport as
well as an ID card from any issuing authority in Germany (in general the
embassy of the citizens residential country issued Passports, and only
these) and since 2012 German embassies can also issue ID cards.

Cheers,
Georg