[pp.int.general] European citizens' Initiative - ID requirement & data retention

Justus Römeth squig at dfpx.de
Tue Jan 10 00:24:35 CET 2012

Didn't know that, thx Georg.

I guess the whole procedure is a step into the right direction, IDs needed
or not. As usual with the EU it's a step that does not go far enough, and
it is hampered by politicians and authorities trying to harmonize different
practices from their respective country (as a German I dread the moment the
EU decides that 'no tempo limit on certain parts of the highways' is not a
workable solution), but it is a step in the right direction. I think the EU
often does not get the credit it deserves.

Oh well, this is turning into a rambling, so I'll stop. I think with a
strong pirate party in Germany it should be possible to reach the
million threshold as soon as organizations like Bits of Freedom and la
Quadrature du net put their support behind initiatives that go our way, ID
cards or not. At least for the basic stuff like repealing ACTA or data
retention.