[pp.int.general] International PP Press Service

Justus Römeth roemeth at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 01:01:32 CET 2012

Ahoi Pirates

I'll try to take this into my hands after my thesis, so I might as well
start the brainstorming now.

As written in the other mail (on PPDE reaching 20k+ members) it might be a
good idea to start an information service about what is going on in the
world of the pirate parties. I see this as a way of facilitating news
across language barriers (where they seem to stop way too often nowadays)
about what is going on in each and every pirate party, a way for know-how
to get dispersed, to invite to assemblies and meetings and the likes. The
idea is basically to strengthen the feeling that the pirate party movement
is an international community, and can then maybe grow to be more than the
sums of it's part. In light of a European election coming up in 2014 that
may be a good idea.

I am thinking of a newsletter written monthly for now in the PPI list, and
maybe published on a blog (or the PPI website if it is deemed important
enough), giving information on day to day political work of different
pirate parties, from a local council in some backwater town in Germany to
the struggles of pirate parties in Russia, Slowenia, Brazil, Ohio or
Marocco to get registered as a nation-/statewide party. At the moment it is
quite hard to come by information about what is going on in the different
national parties if you don't speak the language, and the idea is to
provide a place where that is happening in English.

Once that is running and we have a few contributors actively fanning out
through the Internetz to get information on the different parties, and
people like it well enough, we could go to publishing more frequently,
translating into other languages, maybe even hosting a podcast, and the
likes, but that's for the future to see. I think a newsletter every month
with stories from 5 to 8 pirate parties is doable.

I do like the name 'Message in a Bottle' the German PP-affiliated news
service has, in English it sounds even better imo. So that would be my idea
for a name, but I am up for other ideas. When I get bored over my thesis
over the following weeks I'll try to spread the information a bit further.
For now I am interested in your input.

So to summarize: What do you think about the idea of having a newsletter
(that may grow into a news service with blog and so on) in English about
what is going on in the different pirate parties. Do you think this is a
good tool to foster something like an international community, to support
PPI and PWB so to say? Would you be willing to maybe come up with an
article every other month to help the service about what is going on in
your PP?

Cheers
Justus