[pp.int.general] SOPA - Should we go on blackout strike?

Pat Mächler patrick.maechler at pp-international.net
Sat Jan 14 11:22:24 CET 2012

TL;DR: Who would opt for a blackout strike on 18th of January against
SOPA? or should it be later? see http://sopastrike.com/ for details

extended version:
You may should be all aware about the SOPA bill in the US that is
scheduled to be voted on 24th of January
http://americancensorship.org/
http://www.pp-international.net/node/510

SOPA is not only bad for US citizens, but for everyone *WORLDWIDE* for
at least 3 reasons
1) The US is the leading force behind the "war on piracy" and
extending the boundaries of copyright worldwide. We have clear
evidence with ACTA[1], in Sweden [2] and in Spain [3]. There are
likely more examples.
2) The US has currently still (directly or indirectly) a relatively
high level of control over crucial Internet infrastructure; with SOPA
they intend to exert worldwide control over generic TLDs such as .net
.com etc.
3) It's a direct attack against free speech worldwide; it's a terrible
sign for a country where free speech has been held once so high

I'm certainly not even closely to beeing anti-US or similar; but this
bill is just terrible to say the least and thus it needs to be fighted
by all means, even by people who usually prefer not to give a shit
what happens in the US.

Thus I would suggest that you at least consider to participate in a
blackout strike or raise awareness by other means.
On reedit a strike has been announced for 18th of January http://sopastrike.com/
Similar suggestions have been made previously by a lose conglomerate
with Google, Wikipedia and other giants [4]; however it's not clear
whether they agreed on a certain date. Some sources have suggested
that they may arrange a blackout strike for the day before the vote
(i.e. 23th of January)

You may decide that a strike of your PP website does not really make
sense. But then at least push your national media to raise further
awareness.

-pat

[1] http://www.p2pnet.net/story/48477
[2] http://falkvinge.net/2011/09/05/cable-reveals-extent-of-lapdoggery-from-swedish-govt-on-copyright-monopoly/