[pp.int.general] MegaUpload raided, shut down on request of US authorities

Justus Römeth squig at dfpx.de
Sat Jan 21 11:47:26 CET 2012

The thing is, no matter whether we think what TPB is doing should be legal
or not, it is legal in Sweden, while it would not be in Germany or the US.

Megaupload conducted business through the internet, just as TBP is offering
services through the internet. What the British boy did was offering
services through the internet. US authorities say that in the case of the
British boy and Megaupload it falls under US jurisdiction, they will likely
go for the TPB people soon, too. None of them gear their service towards
the US market. Why can't they be tried in New Zealand? Why does it have to
be the US? With what right is the US responsible? Is everything we do in
the internet, or at least everything we do via .com, .org and .gov
addresses now subject to US laws? Can we ask Facebook and Google to comply
with German data privacy laws now finally because they operate .de
addresses?

If there is a country that says private filesharing is legal, should it
still extract their citizens, or let their citizens be arrested, for
filesharing and be brought before the courts of another country? That is
what this question is coming down to. Whether we think that megaupload did
legitimate things or not, and comparing that to TPB doesn't matter then, as
US authorities in both cases think it's illegitimate.

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Christian Hufgard <pp at christian-hufgard.de