[pp.int.general] MegaUpload raided, shut down on request of US authorities

Justus Römeth squig at dfpx.de
Sat Jan 21 12:13:06 CET 2012

No Facebook and Google don't, since the EU and the US made an agreement (I
think that was the digital millenium act, but I might be wrong) for cases
like that; German companies don't need to comply to American data privacy
laws if they have American customers neither. Facebook may, because they
have an office in ireland (for tax reasons), Google does to a degree.
Under German law American authorities would have noto so easily access to
Twitter, FB or Google data, for example. But apparently they do.

Saying that Megaupload's case should be dealt with according to the law
they reside in, and not American law, is not neccessarily defending them,
It is defending the rule of law.

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Christian Hufgard <pp at christian-hufgard.de