[pp.int.general] Court of Arbitration ruling 2012-1-A: public call for evidence

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 16:48:03 CET 2012

On 1/24/2012 10:41 AM, Thijs Markus wrote:

> Am I the only one who finds it hilarious, that on their very first
> case, the CoA proves to be just as corrupt as the establishment we
> all oppose? Really... what is this CoA anyway? Some pitiful attempt
> to proclaim some half-witted people experts, and having us all
> follow their judgements. What a way to supplant transparent debate
> with closed proceedings. These people should not exist, CoA should
> not exist. Lets get rid of this now, shall we?
>
> Really, how can an organisation that promotes freedom loving,
> future loving parties have a court like this? Court are over half a
> millennium old, and guess what? They never bite the hands that
> feeds them. (see the pirate bay trial, for a recent example.) Why
> on earth has someone figured it to be a good idea that such an
> organ should exist within PPI, and worse, why has everyone else
> gone along with it? I just cant wrap my head around this one. Why
> does it even exist?

Everyone else hasn't 'gone along with it'

I protested strongly about the manner in which it was 'filled' (quite
literally anyone who was physically at the last General Assembly that
wanted to be on the court was, it was filled immediately after it was
'added to the statutes'. Remote delegates had zero input on the timing
of the filling, let alone input on WHO took the spots.

http://lists.pirateweb.net/pipermail/pp.international.general/2011-March/009169.html
<-- start of the thread at the time.

It is a Kangaroo court in every sense of the manner.

> If arbitration between parties is necessary, the last thing we need
> is a court to decide who is wrong and who is right, what we need is
> a negotiator who finds the middle ground and turns the conflict
> into a deepening of the relationship. And should at long last the
> parties not be able to agree, we can always have a lottery from the
> PPI coordinators of the associated PPI members. This way, at least
> we avoid the possibility of 'friends in the right places'. Given
> the level of expertise the present CoA can claim, its unreasonable
> to expect a drop in quality.
>
> This is not even mentioning the court decision is apparently made
> by 4 out of its, I belief 9 members. Aside from making the decision
> anyhow invalid, this also points out that this organ is not
> flexible enough to have a place in a constantly evolving, expanding
> and shrinking movement. We cannot assign people for years who will
> not be around for years.

It's because there's only 4 members still involved. That's typical
when your only qualifications for the officer were 'be in a location
at a certain time, physical ability to raise hand'.