[pp.int.general] Frontpage on reddit!

Justus Römeth squig at dfpx.de
Fri Jan 27 14:35:14 CET 2012

I am in no way an official, I am merely paraphrasing the talk I read on the
PPDE-Aktive List.

There they expected the press team to come up with something,
but apparently the press team dislikes Schmitz too much to do anything
(which brings us to the core of the problem, however).

Apart from the fact that many persons in the German blogosphere saw
megacompany very skeptically to begin with, it is now just feared that
associating with megaupload, or it's users is not what a political party
should do. The customers relying on someone like Schmitz are seen as
persons that are trusting far too easily, ie if you use a cyberlocker for
your files you should have a local backup somewhere, especially one lead by
a character like Schmitz (as opposed to Rapidshare for example). Fefe had a
blogpost on this that sums it up pretty well (in German:)
http://blog.fefe.de/?ts=b1e771eb

There have been many within the party that called the FBI's action illegal,
since Schmitz is a German citizen residing in NZ, with a company base din
Hong Kong, so the FBI assuming it's a domestic matter that should be dealt
with according to US law only because he used servers in the US (well,
kinda stupid from him) and a .com address (now this is a very interesting
idea about what is American in the internet and what not that should as
soon as possible be repealed).

However, since we are well-known in Germany for a number of political
decisions that go far beyond internet-policing, but are still being
attacked for having a singel/the most important issue that we want to
legalize file-sharing no matter the cost (this is how conservative and
liberal politicians picture us often) getting too involved in this case
could be seen as detrimental, and that is why I think many members of PPDE
don't want to rally behind your cause.

It has been argued that you do not do this to save megaupload, but for the
users, but, as written above, the reward PPDE could get from this (media
exposure) is relatively small compared to the risk of being thrown back
into this 'single-issue-statement.

Please note again: I am a simple pirate, in no official function of PPDE
other than a member whatsoever, and this is just a summary of what I think
is going on. Personally I don't think the harm of putting some of our
weight behind it is that big, but if the leadership should decide to do it
they will most likely get a shitstorm going nevertheless (by doing nothing
the same could happen, mind). However, we can't wait to the next GA to find
out what the best option is, and I personally think it is a bit late to
really reply to it now. Maybe my idea of how the situation is is totally
wrong and PPDE will decide to sign it soon. I just don't think that is
likely.

kind regards

Justus