[pp.int.general] Towards a secure eDemocracy platform based on Web service standards

MRE muriel at pirata.cat
Sat Jul 14 16:24:48 CEST 2012

Hello,

In Spain you're not forced to go into the polling booth... although it
seems like it would be a good idea.

In fact, most people don't use it and they just take a single ballot
and put in the envelope for everyone to see so in many cases, although
who's voted what it's not in a public database, it may not be secret
unless you really want to.

Moreover, since large parties have the money to send advertising to
all voters, they send it together with their ballot papers and
envelope, so that many people does that at home and they don't even
have to browse through less known parties' ballot papers.

If they do it this way they can be forced by their husbands or
families to vote whatever and no one would know because on the polling
station they just have to put the envelope inside the ballot box.
The same situation may happen when voting by snail mail, which is also
another possibility for anyone in Spain.

It seems to me that we're being much more strict with electronic
voting than we're really being with standard paper voting. Probably we
should change the paper voting law as well in some countries to be
more strict about all this and enforce democratic principles.

Cheers,

        Muriel