[pp.int.general] Towards a secure eDemocracy platform based on Web service standards

Dario i at dario.im
Sun Jul 15 09:47:03 CEST 2012

2012/7/15 Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org>

>     In PP-CAT we have a voting system where everyone can see its own vote
>     and the total result, and only the System administrators (3) of the
>     server hosting the voting system can check the database to see what
>     voted every member (so far, it has never been done/requested).
>
> This may be ok within PP-CAT.  Perhaps there is little danger anyone
> will be bullied or bribed into voting a particular way; if so, this
> system is no problem in that context.

This is an example of different kind of voting. One thing is our internal
system (as PP-CAT's sysadmin I can say that we never checked the database)
and another one are government elections, where I agree that 100% secure
electronic voting is not feasible nowadays.

We can't look for an unique system but if someone achieve it, hey, let's
prize him/her with a Nobel :) Meanwhile, there are middleground options:
http://www.wombat-voting.com/ I like to show this because I think it has
some advantages from both options and it is "easy" to replicate in an open
source way (which is the only thing I miss from Wombat).

--
Dario Castañé
http://www.dario.im | http://twitter.com/im_dario