[pp.int.general] Global heating: 2 degrees of heating is 16 years away

Cal. peppecal at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 07:04:58 CEST 2012

On 24 July 2012 03:31, Maxime Rouquet <maxime.rouquet at partipirate.org> wrote:
> If there is no or not enough independent data on the subject, we should
> defend that means are given to scientists without conflict of interest
> to make studies.

A scientist could be not-so-independent: but when this affects his
work, he's usually outside scientific method, and you con see it very
quickly, unless he produced fake data.

Don't even try to sell the idea that experimentator bias and conflict
of interest are someway related.

> I was once in a debate with Greens supporters who challenged me on the
> fact that technology can have dramatic impact on ecology, in particular
> global warming. They took the example of Google or Facebook servers that
> have a huge consummation of energy : pirate are "pro" technology, so
> they advocate such bad behaviour, right... ?
>
> ... wrong ! We pirates like decentralization, so we do not support
> massive concentration of servers that generate global warming. More : we
> defend privacy, so we do not advocate blindly cloud computing and
> everything that makes citizens give their private data to big companies
> and put it under legislation of foreign more-or-less democratic states.
>
> I explained we would mostly promote things like the FreedomBox project

You can't say those need less energy than big datacenters. I think
they use energy in less efficient ways than datacenters, but we have
to collect data. How many freedomboxes do we want to install?

> I spoke about renewable energy, and in particular of
> geothermal energy.
>
> Isn't the idea of producing energy from heat particularly interesting ?

Very good. Geothermal is the way, but it's limited.

> We also want to decentralise the energy production. Citizens and local
> communities should be encouraged to exploit geothermal or wind turbine
> energy at their scale, rather than depending on big power plants. (By
> the way, we could get rid of most of the big power lines too...)

DO NOT GET RID OF POWER NETWORK.

You need a new, symmetric, one. We don't want to go back to stone age.
You'll need big power plants, too.

Make some calculations about energy amounts needed, before starting to
chat about closing plants.

On 24 July 2012 04:34, Aza <rata_0071 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Really like this two ideas, solar and geothermal.
>
> Don't like much solar because producing solar panels is energy
> expensive, but solar thermal could be a simple, cheap way to produce
> energy.

Not cheap nor that useful: Sun gives you 1kw/m^2 at his best.