[pp.int.general] research funding

Amelia Andersdotter teirdes at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 20:12:46 CEST 2012

Politically, the most interesting issue to deal with at this time at a
European level is how to deal with public-private partnerships (PPPs)
and joint undertakings (JUs). Which financial instruments do we use to
incentivise particular kinds of development and through which agents?
How do we make goal formulation?

It's been one of the bigger discussions around the Horizon 2020 package
(EU research funding budget, framework program 8) and will continue to
be an evolving debate in the coming six months.

The line that I have been pushing in Brussels together with my
colleague, Christian Engström, is the need to adapt particularly results
management to different industry sectors in cases of PPPs, the need for
an open access by default policy in the fields of research results,
analysis and data, and an increased need for transparency and
accountability in the funding calls for especially projects co-financed
by the private sector.

Also, with private educational facilities playing an increasingly
important role in many MS frameworks, it is reasonable to not limit a
public-private partnership to collaborations between public institutions
and private sectors, but, say, public entities.

We also call for a separation between funds going into SMEs (COSME) and
fundamental research (Horizon 2020), so as to not create the illusion of
the Union spending money on research when in fact we're using the money
for marketization support to small market players. Unfortunately member
states have been very unwilling to listen to these calls, and therefore
support actions at a MS level would be highly appreciated. Especially in
Sweden, the Netherlands and the UK.

best regards,

Amelia Andersdotter

Pe 27.07.2012 20:38, Jack Allnutt et al au scris:

research funding