[pp.int.general] Towards a Pirate Policy on Environmental Issues

Antonio Garcia ningunotro at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 29 19:46:00 CEST 2012

>From an humanist perspective, I would say environmental issues arise when one prioritizes short term advantages over long term sustainability because for reasons some do not seem to grasp we live in a very competitive environment. One where, if one finds a possible short term advantage, one thinks it would be foolish not to exploit it because others will be smart enough to find out too sooner or later... and then for no particular gain at all one will have forfeited an advantage.

So, the only way to be honest about environmental issues... is to find out how we can stop needing competitivity. Until then, all arguments about environmental issues are at most dialectic skirmishing where people who have access to cleaner technologies try to widen the competitive advantage they have by trying to ban dirtier technologies the other can use to catch up if not in quality at least in quantity. Like when the west favours highly patented alternative energy sources... and targets the high pollution levels of more traditional energy sources like petroleum or coal... without offering to share their access to clean technology.

Do we favour an honest discourse on the matter, or one that gets us to keep the more advantages the better?

Antonio.
PP-ES