[pp.int.general] Towards a Pirate Policy on Environmental Issues

Antonio Garcia ningunotro at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 30 10:53:56 CEST 2012

> Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 05:55:43 +0200
> From: kenneth at pirata.cat
> Subject: Re: [pp.int.general] Towards a Pirate Policy on Environmental Issues

[...]
> The reasoning behind it is that someone producing in positive conditions
> for workers, society and environment, could be able to pay (almost) no
> taxes, as the wealth and employment that they produce is their
> contribution to the society in general.
>
> On the other hand, companies messing up everything would be forced to
> pay huge taxes, so their mess could be compensated by the state, and
> they would loose any competitiveness.

Reducing taxes is a fake solution that only weakens countries and benefits corporations. I would only weaken countries AFTER weakening corporations.

Big corporations already know far too well how to move the benefits in their structure to realize them in tax-exempt offshore heavens. What we need is a way to civically and ethically point fingers at them in such a way that that kind of behaviour impacts on their sales... if they pay taxes in the Seychelles... let them sell their stuff in the Seychelles, because WE CHOOSE not to buy here.

If they behave the RIGHT way... it should be enough reward NOT TO BE PENALISED.

You can not force companies to pay huge taxes for misbehaviour... taxes are paid on BENEFITS... and they know how to move these offshore ;) .

> So, in a "liberal" point of view, we'd be lowering taxes, and in a
> humanist/environmentalist approach, we'd be fighting against abusive corps.

As I see it, in any kind of view... if you are not trying to fool yourself... somebody else has already done a very good job ;).

> Regards,
>
> Kenneth

Antonio.