[pp.int.general] PPI board meeting minutes and some updates about the conference

Justus Römeth squig at dfpx.de
Fri Mar 2 15:44:16 CET 2012

Kenneth, you misunderstood me. While I am no expert on it, I am quite aware
of the situation in Spain re languages, ethnicities, and regional political
parties. Germany is a great deal more federal than Italy, France or the UK,
but nowhere near to Spain (although we do have our own minorities with
other languages, such as Frisian, Danish and Sorbian, and the Danish and
Frisian have their own party). Also, what is considered a dialect in German
is often very far away from standard German, usually further than the
different languages in ex-Yugoslavia, and similair to Spain (except
Catalonian and Basque obviously). With the exception of Scots I doubt that
English speakers have something similair to the differences between Swiss
German, Bavarian German, Low German in correlation to High German.

Anyways, my question was specifically geared towards the situation between
PPI and the German Bundesland parties. There are certain similarities with
Spain, as there is a national main party, and regional main parties, and
the latter can become members of the national party. As you noted in Spain
the regional parties are not members of the national parties, unlike the
situation in Germany. So Bavaria, Hesse and Lower Saxony would already be
indirect members of PPI through PPDE, even if they would not be (or strive
for) observer membership.
I am supporter of regionalization, so I personally think that a lot of good
can come through these observer memberships. But I wanted to have a
discussion about how far we should take that before we get PPs of Dutch
provinces, Austrian Bundesländer, Swiss Cantons or German municipalities
applying for observer memberships, too. Especially in the last case it
could become problematic.
That was what I wanted the discussion to be about, I did not mean to
question the merit of having CAT (or Galicia) as observer members.

As to your other question: That would have to be discussed. It would be
fair from a democratic point of view to then allow the state parties of
PPDE in as ordinary members as well (as the one country one vote rule makes
the opinion of one German pirate obviously much less important than the
opinion of one Luxembourgian pirate from that point of view) (this
obviously does not take into account that the big number of German members
could influence the Luxembourgian member with other means).

I think the 'one country, one vote' rule makes sense as far as PPI in its
intended role is concerned, and a long as we don't have pirate parties in
places that are much more like a war zone than anything we have in Europe.
Maybe PPES, PPCAT and PPGAL could found an association called something
like 'federation of pirate parties in Spain' and exercise their PPI voting
right together through a body like that (that is specifically created for
dealing with PPI, and not for internal politics). This could be a way for
the spanish pirate parties to play within the current ppi system (which,
again, makes sense imo). Exceptions to the rule and trust in the common
sense of the members makes sense, too, though. So changing it that in
exceptional cases 1 country - 1 vote could be overturned.

I think a European Pirate Party should not have a one country, one vote
policy, btw (but a bicameral system would make sense), so what was proposed
for PPI makes sense for a possible PPEU.

-J