[pp.int.general] PPI board meeting minutes and some updates about the conference

Andrew Norton ktetch at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 17:48:32 CET 2012

On 3/2/2012 8:40 AM, Jerry Weyer wrote:
> Hello Kenneth,
>
> I would support such a modification. The idea behind the 1 country 1
> member rule was to avoid having 2 competing PPs from one country as a
> member. I think this is now less of a problem than the one you
> described! Spain is not the only country where it is a problem, look at
> the US where we have more than one regional Pirate Party which should
> also be able to join as ordinary member.

erm, not quite right. The US already has the system proposed, where a
confederation of partiues form a whole. In the US there is *NO* national
party, at all. Political parties are organised and recognised at the
state level only, and thats where 99.9% of election law is based.

as a result, there is no such thing as a national party at all, BUT
there are national committees, which state parties belong to (and are
generally considered to be the equivilent to a 'national party'. It
would be that that joined PPI. So it's not the same at all.

Plus with potentially 51 parties (50 states+DC) we would outnumber all
y'all.

> The only risk I see with that modification is that you might have
> multiple voting members from one country. Imagine every regional and
> local Pirate Party in Germany joining as ordinary member with full
> voting rights. Do you have any proposal on how to avoid that?

Yes, keep it as it is, it's a national issue. PIRATA and pp-cat need to
sort things out between them.

Andrew