[pp.int.general] PPEU at the PPI GA

Justus Römeth roemeth at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 22:38:45 CET 2012

One of the steady criticism towards PPI has been that it is very
Eurocentric. This manifests in all GAs having been held in Europe so far,
which in turn made physical participation for many non-European delegates
very expensive, and the subsequent established remote participation has
been lacking, especially when it came to being elected.

Within Europe, on the other hand, there have been calls for more
cooperation between the European pirate parties. We are discussing now the
possibility to form a PPEU (or PPEurope, incorporating European non-EU
parties). Since most European parties will have delegates at the PPI GA in
Prague, there have been suggestions of using that time to start talking
about PPEU as well. So far, some time on Sunday has been set aside for
that, with panels with other topics for non-European (or non-interested)
delegates (there have been panels on different topics during the 2011 GA in
Friedrichshafen as well). However, concerns have been raised that such a
panel could be disappointing for non-European PPs, as it could take
valuable time from discussing topics related to PPI.

Since I don't think it makes a lot sense for non-Europeans to read the PPEU
ML I just wanted to raise awareness to this point and ask for your opinion.
I hope that the value of having a European PP is also clear to non-European
pirates, as it likely will lighten the burden of PPI regarding
intra-European issues, and could in turn help set up PPI GAs outside of
Europe (by experimenting with remote delegations and decentralized GAs by
themselves, for example).

However, before we have a big discussion about this in Prague it would
probably be good to talk about this panel beforehand, especially concerning
non-European delegates.

What are the opinions from Africa,, Asia the Americas and Oceania on this?

-J