[pp.int.general] PPI board meeting minutes and some updates about the conference.

Nuno Cardoso nuno.cardoso at partidopiratapt.eu
Mon Mar 5 03:18:20 CET 2012

 Hi, after reading all of this thread Occam's Razor hangs above me...so
I'll try to keep it simple.
Also, for the time being there is one vote for each Ordinary member and
"there can be only one Ordinary Member per country", so keeping that in
mind:

Problem 1 - What is a "Country"
Instead of delving into the definition wars about country, state, nation
and whatnot, I think that we can all agree that a list of sovereign states
is a good place to start simplifying that notion, and proposals can be made
for the real exceptional cases listed there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states

Problem 2 - Multiple parties within in each "Country"
Solved in the statutes:
VI. Multiple applicants from one country
"Only one Organization from any one country can be recognized for Ordinary
Membership in Pirate Parties International. A National Pirate Organization
may consist of more than one Pirate Party participating  in a Federation
based on the common Pirate purpose."
So the problem is really nº3

Problem 3 - Disputing parties within each "Country" that don't agree to
Federate
Well, unless they get PPI to "act as mediator for any disputes between
Members if requested to do so", it's mainly their problem, but we could
amend the statutes and solve the problem they also cause to PPI on PPI's
side.
Being the agreement on a federation the blocking issue, we could remove the
block by removing the issue. Instead of requiring a federated vote we could
solve it by converting all votes from a single country to a single one,
either by their local majority or calculating their mean or weighted value,
or any other method we could all agree upon.
The important part here would be to give them all a democratic chance to
vote, don't discriminate one in favor of the rest, don't allow a "first in
wins all" situation on the right to vote that hampers a real participation
of other emergent regional parties.
That way PPI wouldn't "force" all of them to federate in order to have
voting power, but they wouldn't "force" PPI to choose a single one either
if they didn't.
Let them organize themselves as they want, with their alliances and
rivalries and whatnot, but in the end those potential feuds wouldn't cause
extra problems to PPI.
As a side effect of this, if the chosen way to convert votes was one that
would take some kind of a mean value instead of a majority, countries would
only be as strong as the consensus of their internal members, and that
could even bring them a bit closer maybe :) ...or not :P

Nuno