[pp.int.general] Are there "good" and "wrong" Rigths?

Dario i at dario.im
Thu Mar 29 12:37:43 CEST 2012

El 29 de marzo de 2012 12:09, <mattias.bjarnemalm at piratpartiet.se> escribió:

> On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 11:29:34 +0200, Dario <i at dario.im> wrote:
> >>

> > Moral rights are, generally, the right of
> > attribution<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attribution_%28copyright%29>,
> > the right to have a work published
> > anonymously<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymity>or
> > pseudonymously <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudonym>, and the right
> > the integrity of the work. The first and the former are recognized in
> > Creative Commons licenses.
>
> Trying to profit from material interests is not missuse. It is to use that
> material interest. There is no way around the fact that the line "the right
> to the protection of the [...] material interests resulting from any
> scientific, literary or artistic production of which he is the author" is
> in direct conflict with the core of the IPR critique within the Pirate
> movement.

I still think it is more about abusing of this protection. Let me show you
my point with an example: if you write a book and release it under CC or
public domain. If you want to sell it, are you in conflict with yourself as
pirate? :) What about "No safe harbor" of PP-US?

Another example: you have a succesful website with some freemium model.
Aren't you using it for material interest? Even if you are fully open
source?

This is about abuse. If IPR is used in a fair way, without monopolies nor
attacks against our freedoms, would there be Pirates? :)

> This does not hinder us from supporting HR in general. But we should
> always avoid referring to the udhr or any other UN document when arguing
> for HR.

It is hard to support something without any kind of content about what are
you supporting :)

--
Dario Castañé
http://www.dario.im | http://twitter.com/im_dario