[pp.int.general] Are there "good" and "wrong" Rigths?

mattias.bjarnemalm at piratpartiet.se mattias.bjarnemalm at piratpartiet.se
Thu Mar 29 12:09:26 CEST 2012

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 11:29:34 +0200, Dario <i at dario.im> wrote:
> El 29 de marzo de 2012 11:11, Maxime Rouquet
> <maxime.rouquet at partipirate.org
>> escribió:
>
>> On 03/29/2012 10:49 AM, Dario wrote:
>> > El 29 de marzo de 2012 10:21, Maxime Rouquet
>> > <maxime.rouquet at partipirate.org
>> > <mailto:maxime.rouquet at partipirate.org>>
>> > escribió:
>> >     Does your Human Rights reference declaration includes the words
>> >     "intellectual property" or "protects" copyright or patents ?
>> >

>> > No. Where are these terms in the declaration?
>> > http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/
>>
>> Article 27. (2) :
>> "Everyone has the right to the protection of the moral and material
>> interests resulting from any scientific, literary or artistic
production
>> of which he is the author."
>>

> Moral rights are, generally, the right of
> attribution<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attribution_%28copyright%29>,
> the right to have a work published
> anonymously<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymity>or
> pseudonymously <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudonym>, and the right
> the integrity of the work. The first and the former are recognized in
> Creative Commons licenses.

Trying to profit from material interests is not missuse. It is to use that
material interest. There is no way around the fact that the line "the right
to the protection of the [...] material interests resulting from any
scientific, literary or artistic production of which he is the author" is
in direct conflict with the core of the IPR critique within the Pirate
movement.

This does not hinder us from supporting HR in general. But we should
always avoid referring to the udhr or any other UN document when arguing
for HR.