[pp.int.general] Are there "good" and "wrong" Rigths?

Dario i at dario.im
Thu Mar 29 11:29:34 CEST 2012

El 29 de marzo de 2012 11:11, Maxime Rouquet <maxime.rouquet at partipirate.org
> escribió:

> On 03/29/2012 10:49 AM, Dario wrote:
> > El 29 de marzo de 2012 10:21, Maxime Rouquet
> > <maxime.rouquet at partipirate.org <mailto:maxime.rouquet at partipirate.org>>
> > escribió:
> >     Does your Human Rights reference declaration includes the words
> >     "intellectual property" or "protects" copyright or patents ?
> >

> > No. Where are these terms in the declaration?
> > http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/
>
> Article 27. (2) :
> "Everyone has the right to the protection of the moral and material
> interests resulting from any scientific, literary or artistic production
> of which he is the author."

Moral rights are, generally, the right of
attribution<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attribution_%28copyright%29>,
the right to have a work published
anonymously<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymity>or
pseudonymously <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudonym>, and the right to
the integrity of the work. The first and the former are recognized in
Creative Commons licenses.

Anyway, in my opinion, pirates are against the misuse of all this
terminology for profit, the intermediaries who exploit (almost literally)
creators and using them as ram against freedom (censorship, data retention,
etc), which are related with material interests.

> >     But more important : who defines the "Pirate ideology" ? If a
> majority
> >     of people join your party and, after a tragic event, want to amend
> this
> >     "Pirate ideology" to insert death penalty in it, can't they ?
> >

> > To amend the "Pirate ideology" they must achieve two-thirds majorities
> > in two votings, separated in three months at least. This is to prevent
> > "tragic event panic" or takeovers from outsiders.
> >
> > And as Jordi said, death penalty is against Human Rights.
>
> I quote you : "Where are these terms in the declaration?"

Article 3. Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.

> I agree with you and consider death penalty as against the right to
> life. But states and courts do not.

When states and courts are in full compliance of Human Rights? They say
they do but, in practice, there are laws and actions in the edge everyday.

> Look at the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and
> Fundamental Freedoms, that covers the right to life (Article 2) : why
> did they need to add Protocol 6 to restrict the application of the death
> penalty to times of war or "imminent threat of war" ?

http://conventions.coe.int/treaty/en/treaties/html/005.htm

I see nothing about Protocol 6 (maybe it is not the same text?) but I see
this: No one shall be deprived of his life intentionally save in the
execution of a sentence of a court following his conviction of a crime for
which this penalty is provided by law.

This is outside the Human Rights original declaration. This is an agreement
from Council of Europe and it is probably reviewable, as long as in the
original declaration there aren't exceptions to right to life.

Going back to the main issue, modifying Pirate Ideology, is not as easy as
it looks.

Salut!

--
Dario Castañé