[pp.int.general] Are there "good" and "wrong" Rigths?

David Arcos david.arcos at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 13:02:12 CEST 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Maxime Rouquet <
maxime.rouquet at partipirate.org> wrote:

> >     Does your Human Rights reference declaration includes the words
> >     "intellectual property" or "protects" copyright or patents ?
> >

> > No. Where are these terms in the declaration?
> > http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/
>
> Article 27. (2) :
> "Everyone has the right to the protection of the moral and material
> interests resulting from any scientific, literary or artistic production
> of which he is the author."

Please quote the full article:

Article 27.

   - (1) Everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life
      of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific
advancement
      and its benefits.
      - (2) Everyone has the right to the protection of the moral and
      material interests resulting from any scientific, literary or artistic
      production of which he is the author.

The "intellectual property" restrictions are not compatible with Article
27.1. So we will allways be against DRM, copyright censorship, etc.

As for 27.2:
- "moral interests" = authory, atribution
- "material interests" = money, commercial rights
I don't see any problem in defending that.

Cheers,