[pp.int.general] It's Time To Rethink DNS

me at travismccrea.com me at travismccrea.com
Fri May 11 18:12:01 CEST 2012

Hey guys,
Over the weekend we will be officially launching the dotPirate top level
domain for the OpenNIC alternate DNS root. OpenNIC is one of the oldest,
most decenteralized, and stable altroot out there.

We need to move past the old centralized IANA / ICANN managed web. We
cannot have a truly free internet until our internet is decentralized and
controlled by us (as people, not pirates).

Other systems are all fine and dandy like bitDNS, etc. They, however,
require extra software on your computer and more than likely will never
have widespread adoption. OpenNIC and other more traditional alt roots use
the same technology your computer already uses, you just have to point
your DNS to a new IP.

Go to http://useopennic.org to quickly setup your computer, and share this
link with at least one other person. The homepage to the opennic project
is http://opennicproject.org

Also go to http://dotpirate.me to register a domain - they are free, and
if you sign up for a domain name, you will also be given a coupon code for
http://torgaurd.net where you will get a free month of any of their
service.

Also we will offer ccPirateTLDs (de.pirate for instance) to any Pirate
Party which is a full member of PPI, just create an account email me your
username and we will get it taken care of.