[pp.int.general] Don't roast our planet

Loïc Grobol loic.grobol at gmail.com
Thu May 17 12:16:54 CEST 2012

On 17 May 2012 11:55, Charly Pache <charly.pache at gmail.com> wrote:
> Look there:
> http://www.skepticalscience.com/peerreviewedskeptics.php
Oh, you should have said earlier that you gave credit to
skepticalscience. Most climatoskepticals don't. So here's the page you
need, though I don't doubt you have already seen it
http://www.skepticalscience.com/global-warming-scientific-consensus-basic.htm

> And again, being more doesn't mean being right, Al Gore invested a lot of
> money into the green industry and a lot of political pressure was put on the
> scientists once it was POLITICALLY decided climate change is man-caused.
No, but on what should we base our actions, then? There will never be
a consensus, you can still find today people convinced that a god
created the earth at the center of the universe, that the other
celestial bodies are orbiting it, carried by angels. and there is a
tiny probability that they are right and science has been mislead.
Shall we abandon our working models to take their beliefs into
account, then? The only thing we have is peer-review and following the
majority of peer-appointed experts.

> But don't understand me wrong, I'm really an ecological guy, with no more
> car, fostering local energetic autonomy, recycling my waste and so on.
Fine, then.
> Just that I don't like when people lie and manipulate others. Just an other
> example of this climategate here:
> http://thegwpf.org/international-news/305-climategate-did-cru-manipulate-russian-climate-data.html
And how do you know who manipulates who?

Even though, look at the alternative. Global heating is a reality,
even if its magnitude may be debatable, but there is no evidence that
it can't be harmful. Assuming that it won't is foolish if we can't be
sure, thus we should assume that it will be harmful.
Either we are contributing to it or we are not, but either way, we are
emitting greenhouse gases, along with pollution is most cases. Even if
we are not contributing to it, it won't harm us to cut the emissions,
furthermore, research in this domain has very good odds to yield
sustainable and clean energy production means.

So even the reality of global heating is not relevant, neither is our
contribution to it. We need to stop relying on fossil fuels, if only
because they won't last forever. We need to stop polluting the
atmosphere, if only for the sake of our health. It would be great to
have sustainable, clean and cheap energies. The sooner, the better.
Even if you were right to question the reality of global heating, it
just harms this cause.

L.

--
Loïc Grobol.

M1 Mathématiques AMA. Faculté des sciences, Orléans La Source.
M1 Linguistique LAASTIC. Faculté de lettres, langues et sciences
humaines, Orléans La Source.