[pp.int.general] Don't roast our planet

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Thu May 17 19:43:20 CEST 2012

    So I played my part, there was a sun scientist who predicted we are going
    into a 30 years period of colder temperatures, we just have to wait to see
    whether he was right.

Here you demonstrate illogical reasoning.

I don't know who that was, or what he really said.  So I will suppose
he said what you report.

Do other solar scientists generally agree with him?  Apparently not.
Why do you suppose he is right?  Are you looking for straws to grasp
at?

Still, he could be right.  If so, what difference would it make?  A
30-year period of reduced insolation might reduce temperatures on
Earth during that time, so we would not see the full heating effect
of the greenhouse gases.  This happened to some extent in recent years
because other pollution from coal burning in China had a cooling effect.
(However, the cooling effect is limited -- it won't keep increasing.)

But if we continue emitting greenhouse gases faster and faster during
that 30-year period, at the end we will get the full heating effect of
all that greenhouse gas.  It won't save us, only postpone some of the
effects.

But let's pretend that if he's right, we are safe.  What if that were
true?

When you say "wait and see", I think you mean "take no urgent action
to avoid global heating disaster until we see".  What then if he is
wrong?  By the time we have waited and seen, we will have lost our
chance to avoid disaster.

Should we bet our civilization, millions of species, and hundreds of millions
of people, on his being right?  That would be a foolish risk.
We should play safe and reduce greenhouse gases, in case he is wrong.

Your tendency to invite humanity to take foolish risks shows that you
are thinking about this the wrong way.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation