[pp.int.general] Opposing austerity

Jan Lettow janlettow at gmail.com
Thu May 17 21:18:31 CEST 2012

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 8:17 PM, Justus Römeth <squig at dfpx.de> wrote:
> The European Pirate Parties are all democratic parties. That means the only
> thing they HAVE to do is what their members want them to do.

This point is actually kind of scary. I can easily imagine lots of
other things - human rights, the law, human decency and so on...

> Also, for parties that only have a small member base the most important
> thing should be to extend that member base, not to work on political fields
> they have no expertise on.

Iirc, an economist has the same success rate as a coin flip. I think
there is merit in the idea that common sense is sufficient to deal
with social issues.

For a party that promotes particitpation of the electorate, I find it
astonishingly elitist to think otherwise.

I'm guessing not everyone who helped start the pirates got a degree in
politcal science first.

> We are of the opinion that...
> However it is important to us...

Are you speaking for the party? I'm not aware where that comes from.
Sorry if I miss something.

Hope you dont mind I chimed in, this is exciting stuff.