[pp.int.general] Opposing austerity

Justus Römeth squig at dfpx.de
Sun May 20 01:18:54 CEST 2012

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Charly Pache <charly.pache at gmail.com>wrote:

> Justus, you can't ask him to modify his rhetoric cos in the pirate party,
> people come and do politics as they are :)
>
> So now I can't ask you to change your rhetoric but please respect the
> rhetoric of the others :)

Of course I can ask people to do certain things. I just should not be able
to force them, and can't expect that they'll listen to me. I don't think
that my debating style is totally unacceptable or unreasonable (and if
anybody thinks it is please tell me either here or in a private mail).

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org> wrote:

> I am sorry for giving that impression, but I am surprised you perceive
> it that way.  To say "The Pirate Movement must do X" is a
> common way to argue for a certain side in a debate.
> It doesn't mean I think the decision is up to me.

Maybe there are language barriers at play here too. I specifically would
not want to limit my criticism to you using that phrase, or even pivot it
around it. I rather would kindly ask you to use 'in my opinion', 'according
to my logic' and the likes more often, making clear that you are writing
down your opinion, rather than making an inevitable logic conclusion (this
kinda goes without saying and is implied in any written text, since text
and authorship is always somewhat subjective as well as limited to the
knowledge of that time and place, but still). I'd like to emphasize that
this is criticism of form rather than content: I think the issues brought
up are important, and pirate positions on them should be developed
transnationally, since the problems are of a global nature. I disagree with
some of the interpretations and conclusions Richard makes, but that is not
what this is about.

It may also be that my social science background makes me perceive this
different than others. If anyone thinks I am totally out of line, again,
please call me back/off.

-J