[pp.int.general] Julia Schramm

Andy Halsall a.halsall at pirateparty.org.uk
Wed Sep 19 16:58:25 CEST 2012

On Wednesday 19 September 2012 15:32:06 Thomas Bruderer wrote:
> This is a media-disaster...

Broadly agree...

> https://torrentfreak.com/fail-prominent-pirate-party-politician-polices-book-pirates-120918/
>
> http://www.dailydot.com/news/german-pirate-party-julia-schramm/
>
> A DMCA takedown notice from a pirate  from a national the board - it's
> unbelievable!
>
> Currently we sit tight here and hope we don't get any attention in the
> newspapers. But it looks like the news is out now, and international
> reports are coming in: Are there any reactions planned? We could use
> some information to be prepared.

Even if we don't see any reactions immediately, this is likely to come up (potentially for all parties) when talking about this issue, especially in the context of debates with industry.  It could be used to undercut our positions, essentially that we will revert our positions if it comes to a crunch, or when we have personal stakes in the game.  Even if we don't react now (and I think it would be best for Germany to deal with the issue clearly..), we have to expect it to come up in future.  Essentially PPDE can have a significant impact on other PP's simply due to it's visibility.

> There was only one article so far in Switzerland, so maybe it is keeping
> under the hood, but I think we should be prepared.
>
> There is no reaction from the German pirates so far, I think it's
> important that they take a serious step in cleaning up this mess. It's
> really destroying all our reputation...

It would obviously be best for PPDE to put something out that gives a clear indication of what Julia was trying to do (I assume she tried to get a contract as close to our positions as possible).  The most obvious approach here would be to point out it was an individual decision, that in terms of the 'deal' (as I've read it) one could argue it's inline with our policy positions (10 year copyright in the UK..) as Julia has limited the amount of time she has 'handed her rights over'.  It could also be argued (although I'd avoid it), that this is a product of a broken system, where even someone very much supportive of copyright reform has to conform to be able to participate fully in the creative process.

Of course that doesn't change the fact that there are DCMA notices with a prominent pirate's name on out there (I'm more used to receiving them..).  There is of course little we can do other than denounce, in a reasonable way, the situation and make our own positions as clear as possible.  It would also be rather useful to line up the artists, writers and others in the party that are involved in creating and releasing work in permissive ways so that we can at the very least point out that most of us do practice what we preach.

Just some thoughts.

> Regards,
> Thomas

Andy Halsall
Campaigns Officer
Pirate Party UK
+44 (0) 7505111705

For more information on the Pirate Party UK, please visit our website at
http://www.pirateparty.org.uk.  If you wish to receive regular press
statements from the Party (or no longer wish to receive them) please email the
Press Office at press at pirateparty.org.uk.  The Pirate Party UK is a political
party registered at 11, 45 Streatham Hill, London, SW2 4TS, United Kingdom.