[pp.int.general] Pirate-Partner-Cities

P. Maechler valio at visionsinteractive.ch
Thu Sep 20 09:28:58 CEST 2012

Dear Martin,

Thanks for proposing this idea to the list.
Personally I'm very well in support of it (*).
The question is rather on which basis it should be started.
It's clear to me that it would require enough bottom-up momentum to
start and sustain. However without some networking beyond pure
bottom-up inbetween the partners this momentum might be lost all too
soon; e.g. for best practice exchange (e.g. which joint activities did
bring us closer?) and visibility of the network (aka "we're not alone
with doing this thing").

kind regards
pat

(*) I recall that I discussed an idea in similar form about a year ago
or so with a few pirates in PPI. Then I was rather thinking about an
analogy to partner cities, but not necessarily just using the existing
partner cities. Your proposal could indeed solve the question on which
basis a party should choose a partner and reduce a lot of overhead; on
the other hand a party might have just bad luck with the partners of
their city as there are no pirates at all or they are not even closely
interested in this activity (e.g. not well staffed, way too busy,
etc); however in this case the party might look for existing similar
groups to contact as well (hacker collectives, free culture groups,
groups that aim at improving the core of democracy, etc).