[pp.int.general] what are the minimum true core Pirates principles? -Attempt to get a workable consensus-

Dario dario at pirata.cat
Mon Sep 24 18:51:21 CEST 2012

2012/9/24 Andrew Norton <ktetch at ktetch.co.uk>

> Mob rule (aka 'direct democracy') hasn't even been around or
> considered for more than 1-2 years (3 at most) less than half the age
> of the pirate movement. It's not been a 'core part of the pirate
> philosophy'. Might be the case in one or two parties, but others just
> started flirting with it.

No, no :) To properly argue against something, nobody should call names
like 'snout-counting' or 'mob rule' to the opposite ideas.

I see no reason to keep "direct/liquid democracy" as a emotional decision
tool. It must be used with facts from a prior discussion. Voting without
facts or prior discussion is "mob ruling", not "direct/liquid
democracy". As understood
by those who are in favor of DD/LD.

Probably we should name it "deliberative democracy" [0]. Or "liquid
deliberative democracy". Facts + Discussion + LD = well-informed
participants taking decisions on their own or delegating them. It sounds
right to me.

> Fact-based leadership should be the way forward, and while 'liquid
> democracy' may not be mutually exclusive with it, it's certainly
> diametrically opposite. In fact, every time I think about LD, a term
> from a Harry Turtledove novel pops into my head - 'snout-counting'.

I don't know in other countries but here Spaniards are tired of messianic
leaders with "facts". Anyway, I think there is a big misconception of LD
because of its current implementation: discuss a bit and vote, vote, vote.
And of course LD supporters are not against facts, we are against leaders
and not harnessing collective intelligence.

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deliberative_democracy

--
Dario Castañé
http://www.dario.im | http://twitter.com/im_dario