[pp.int.general] The true core Pirates principles -Serious attempt to get a workable consensus - TLDR version

Antior antior at piratenpartij.nl
Thu Sep 27 11:30:35 CEST 2012

TLDR; Pirate core values according to me.

This is the last part of my previous mail. If you don't want to read
through all the extra crap I've written there, at least read this message.

---

It doesnt't matter what I do or do not like. The only thing that matters
is what pirates in general agree on. It is very very difficult to speak
for everyone, but it is not too hard to look beyond my own views. I
tried to do that here.

And I think it all boils down to the following very general goals:
- General freedom of information
- - Right to access of information
- - Right to internet access
- - Right of freedom of expression
- - Right to re-use and remix information
- - Obligation to give credit where credit's due

 From this follows:
- -  Reforms of 'intellectual property' laws. Copyright laws need to be
changed for the right to access of information and the right to re-use
and remix information. Patent laws need to be changed for the right to
re-use information. Trademarks can be used for recognition purposes for
the credit where credit's due obligation, but this obligation also needs
to be part of any law that gives people the right to re-use or remix
copyrighted and patented data.

- Right of personal privacy
- - Access to personal data
- -  Right to comment (or delete?) personal data

- Transparancy of legislations (although... in a sense this could even
fit with freedom of information)
- - Accountability of legislators (Do we agree on this one?)
- - Transparancy of the law-making process
- - Transparancy of the governing process, including government finances.

Freedom of information, right of personal privacy and transparancy of
legislations are the core goals. The sub-points are more of an
explanation or example of how these three issues could be 'covered' in law.

I never saw the Pirate movement as an organisation that tries to fix ALL
the world's problems. We try to fix a tiny part of it, that is important
to US, and hopefully to many voters as well. Let the big parties think
about solving all other issues. We will free information and protect
privacy and keep to that. Please don't claim any personal points of view
as Pirate issues. We have chosen to not go beyond a small set of
*directly achievable* goals for a reason.

I think local pirate parties are free to add as many other issues to
their programme as they like, as long as they don't directly oppose the
core goals. It may even be necessary in order to deal with local laws.
But internationally, we need to keep to our original limited purpose,
and not widen it in any way.

- Antior