[pp.int.general] The true core Pirates principles -Serious attempt to get a workable consensus - TLDR version

Zbigniew Łukasiak zzbbyy at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 12:24:46 CEST 2012

OK - I'll top post - because I don't want to go point by point.

First, one quick note about privacy - it is not only about controlling
the data that is there about you - it is also about denying access -
that is stuff like extending the secrecy of correspondence to cover
the ways we communicate over the internet.

These core values you mention overlap tightly with the original
Swedish Pirates program
(http://www.piratpartiet.se/international/english): "fundamentally
reform copyright law, get rid of the patent system, and ensure that
citizens' rights to privacy are respected".  I believe this is a good
starting point - because this is something that all of the pirate
parties should agree about.

I think now we are all under the influence of the success of the PP-DE
which has much more broad program and, from my limited understanding
of the German politics, which is in Germany more a generic 'protest
party' then 'one issue party' that was the original Swedish idea.  I
am not sure if that is the right direction of evolution - for example
here in Poland we already have a 'generic protest' party so this
position on the political scene is already taken, but sure the PP-DE
success is impressive.  I think broadening the politics of Pirates is
needed - but I personally would like to see it going in slightly less
populist direction.

Pirates are a protest movement - that's undeniable - but to move we
need to know not only from where we want to depart - we also need to
know where are we going.  We need positive examples and at least for
the core issue of copyright reform we have such an example - it is
Free (and Open Source) Software.  I believe Pirates if they want to
keep some distinction from generic protest movements should keep the
connection to the hackers culture and values.

And last but not least: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEN4XNth61o

Cheers,
Zbigniew

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Antior <antior at piratenpartij.nl> wrote:

> TLDR; Pirate core values according to me.
>
> This is the last part of my previous mail. If you don't want to read through all the extra crap I've written there, at least read this message.
>
> ---
>
> It doesnt't matter what I do or do not like. The only thing that matters is what pirates in general agree on. It is very very difficult to speak for everyone, but it is not too hard to look beyond my own views. I tried to do that here.
>
> And I think it all boils down to the following very general goals:
> - General freedom of information
> - - Right to access of information
> - - Right to internet access
> - - Right of freedom of expression
> - - Right to re-use and remix information
> - - Obligation to give credit where credit's due
>
> From this follows:
> - -  Reforms of 'intellectual property' laws. Copyright laws need to be changed for the right to access of information and the right to re-use and remix information. Patent laws need to be changed for the right to re-use information. Trademarks can be used for recognition purposes for the credit where credit's due obligation, but this obligation also needs to be part of any law that gives people the right to re-use or remix copyrighted and patented data.
>
> - Right of personal privacy
> - - Access to personal data
> - -  Right to comment (or delete?) personal data
>
> - Transparancy of legislations (although... in a sense this could even fit with freedom of information)
> - - Accountability of legislators (Do we agree on this one?)
> - - Transparancy of the law-making process
> - - Transparancy of the governing process, including government finances.
>
> Freedom of information, right of personal privacy and transparancy of legislations are the core goals. The sub-points are more of an explanation or example of how these three issues could be 'covered' in law.
>
> I never saw the Pirate movement as an organisation that tries to fix ALL the world's problems. We try to fix a tiny part of it, that is important to US, and hopefully to many voters as well. Let the big parties think about solving all other issues. We will free information and protect privacy and keep to that. Please don't claim any personal points of view as Pirate issues. We have chosen to not go beyond a small set of *directly achievable* goals for a reason.
>
> I think local pirate parties are free to add as many other issues to their programme as they like, as long as they don't directly oppose the core goals. It may even be necessary in order to deal with local laws. But internationally, we need to keep to our original limited purpose, and not widen it in any way.
>
> - Antior

Zbigniew Lukasiak
http://brudnopis.blogspot.com/
http://perlalchemy.blogspot.com/