[pp.int.general] Looking for one good reason [Was: Bulk of posts this year]

Boris Turovskiy tourovski at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 18:21:18 CEST 2013

Hi,

it is a law of nature that any open, sufficiently large mailing list turns
with time into a troll haven. It's been observed often enough in the past
and we've had the same experience with major Pirate Party mailing lists
(for example, the "general" ML of the German Pirates became completely
unusable about half a year after we've had the rapid rise in members, 2009).

There are several ways to combat this development which ultimately go in
the direction of restriction (moderated lists, active banning etc.) and/or
segregation (splitting "general-purpose" lists into speciffic topic lists
which are less attractive for trolls). We have fared well in Germany so far
with the approach of using lists with clear rules and purpose (e.g. an
"announcement" list, a "policy" list etc. with off-topic posts being cut
down); however, the general-purpose lists could not be saved, so they
remain undead, roamed by hordes of trolls chasing one another^^ The
suggestion to do the same thing with the PPI list has been put forward many
times during the last three years, but to no avail (yet).

Best regards,
Boris