[pp.int.general] [pp-leaders.discussion] Pirate Party of Canada and PPI

Justus Römeth squig at dfpx.de
Wed Apr 24 13:45:16 CEST 2013

I think PPI is needed, but that many people expect too much of it. Also,
some people seem to expect it to handle everything that happens
internationally concerning pirates.

As an addition to what Thomas wrote, I think PPI can be a good place (not
the only one!) for the press to get information and contacts concerning
pirates. In the same manner it can be a good place for people willing to
start their own pirate party to get support and tips. I can imagine that a
lot of pirates form places that are not exactly democratic are doing
exactly this. PPI can be something of a lightning rod or lighthouse, in
that matter, as well as a formal way to help us stay organized and
motivated.

However, it should not be the only place for Pirates that want to do stuff
internationally. But it is up to all of us to make sure that those things
happen elsewhere. It is true that PPI was very eurocentric. We are now in
the process of founding PPEU to adress that (arguably in Europe more
international contacts are needed to get stuff done politically than in,
say, the US, Australia or Brazil), hopefully freeing PPI's time to adress
more things on a global scale. It is true that the PPI GA in Prague has
been quite chaotic to follow remotely, and that a lot of things were going
on there that were going on there because it was the only big inernational
Pirate Party conference after Friedrichshafen one year before in Europe.
Some of us are adressing this, with the meetings concerning PPEU as well as
with meetings unrelated to it (like the workshop in Hanover). It is true
that PPI is not doing enough for information exchange. Hence some Pirates
set up Pirate Times.

We do not need PPI to do organize dozens of conferences or the flow of
knowledge. PPI is supposed to support those processes and events (except
the annual GA), and we should not rely on it to do those things. PPI is not
the only forum where pirates can engage internationally, and you do not
need your national party to be a PPI member in order to become active
internationally (thank god, I would hate to not have Joseph of Matthias
from PPSE here!) It is not PPI's place to decide what a is or isn't a
pirate party, and I do not think that that is what the conflict with and
discussions about PPES and PPCAT have been about. I welcome each and every
pirate to engage in these tasks, be them within or without PPI. I respect
every Parties' decision not to engage with PPI anymore because of
frustration, it is very much in their right, and does not make them less of
a pirate party.

I would like to more less pirates being less judgemental about what other
pirates are doing wrong, but focussing on trying to show that it can be
done better by doing it themselves instead.

Kind regards

Justus