[pp.int.general] free software video streaming

Maxime Rouquet maxime.rouquet at partipirate.org
Mon Feb 18 16:31:39 CET 2013

On 02/18/2013 03:11 PM, David van Deijk wrote:
> I respectfully disagree with you on the case of youtube. Not
> compromising here is ruinous because it works against our aims in the
> long term. Its about freeing the world, not freeing the free. Big chunks
> of the world live excusively in the nonfree. Protesting that organisers
> reach out to those people on their own platforms means we will not be
> able to free them, as they never wander into the free by themselves.

If people only leave on Youtube or Facebook and you use Youtube or
Facebook to get to them, most of them will either laugh at you or call
you crazy if you then try to explain that Youtube or Facebook are bad...

They use a browser to get to these sites. They can use it to get to our
site and to download or watch the video.

Why would it be so important to get it also on Youtube ?

> On a sidenote:
> In the other mail you were talking about how easy it was to embed an Ogg
> in HTML5. Well i had to build a video website for a customer about a
> year ago. I started with Ogg and html5 but i only got it working in one
> browser. worked for weeks on it to get more browsers, but had to switch
> to flash+h264 in the end. got it working in a day. But this was a year
> ago so i cant say with certainty it is still that bad today.

You speak about embedding video, which is not the initial purpose. We
just want to distribute it, and peer-to-peer will allow people do keep
the video and sharing it a posteriori, where streaming it would limit
their ability to access it.

However, note you could now embed the video using WebM video format that
is supported by Firefox, Chrome and Opera.

(And do not forget that most smartphones and tablets do not support
Flash videos, but will be able to play html5/WebM. So even people who
accept horrible iOS-like systems would have better access to your
website that way.)

Regards,