[pp.int.general] free software video streaming

Maxime Rouquet maxime.rouquet at partipirate.org
Mon Feb 18 18:10:52 CET 2013

On 02/18/2013 05:10 PM, David van Deijk wrote:
> Facebook and youtube offer you some protection. Clicking on an external
> link might put you in a world of hurt, like viruses, or stuff you really
> dont want to see.

You speak about companies who take private data of your personal life to
sell advertisement to other companies, and who obey to USA agencies that
track citizens (like Aaron Swartz) and have enormous powers under the
pretext of the war against terrorism.

You speak like somebody who accepts that the State or some private
company takes control of his/her life in the exchange of protection.

You speak like somebody who would prefer to pay the Mafia in order to be
able to continue to teach freedom to children at school.

We might need people like that, but we also need people who reject any
concession on their freedoms, and who take their responsibilities.

If we do not teach to our members, from the beginning, why we must
reject Facebook or Youtube, then we end up with many of them thinking it
is not that bad. And we lose our fight because even our members do not
understand how dangerous it is to depend on big corporations as
intermediaries to access and share data over the Internet.

This fight is already started and a majority of the citizen will not
accept to even hear our arguments. This very thread is a reminder that
we don't simply have to free citizens, but also to make them understand
what freedom they are willingly giving away.

We cannot convert all of them. We should better be firm on our positions
and try to spread our values without sacrificing them. It will take more
time, but if we do not, we will be just like so many others that make
concessions on their principles in order to get more views on Youtube,
and/or more votes at an election.

Regards,

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin