[pp.int.general] free software video streaming
rms at gnu.org
Tue Feb 19 16:25:26 CET 2013
illunatic at greenpirate.org wrote:
2. Operating within the scope of media, the audience must be able to
access content without using non-free software to consider the medium
to be ?free?.
I'd suggest a stronger criterion for a free digital format:
* The specs should be published.
* Everyone should be free to implement the format.
However, I now see that this made it stronger in one way and weaker in
another. The ability to use the format without nonfree software is
So I propose this stronger criterion for a free digital format:
* Free software exists to use the format.
* Everyone should be free (legally) to implement the format.
The first point is what illunatic at greenpirate.org proposed;
the second is what I add.
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation
51 Franklin St
Boston MA 02110
Skype: No way! That's nonfree (freedom-denying) software.
Use Ekiga or an ordinary phone call
More information about the pp.international.general