[pp.int.general] Bullshit EU consultation

Amelia Andersdotter teirdes at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 21:38:46 CET 2013

On 2013-01-03 22:46, Daniel Riaño wrote:
> 2013/1/3 Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org <mailto:rms at gnu.org>>
>

>     Is it possible for one respondent to submit one answer about copyright
>     and one about patents, as a way of insisting that they should not be
>     lumped together?
>

> I think so. And a paragraph with this sentiment ("I object ...
> acceptance of it") should be inserted to all our answers to the
> questionnaire.

my recommendation is to not add such a disclaimer, since it will waste
precious character space from making more relevant objections about the
system of justice we set up to manage various forms of information
restrictions.

you will have less space for making the legitimate objections to things
such as intermediary liability, undue processes, rule of law, etc. if
you maintain this point.

one can see law as having separate layers: on the one hand, you have
laws wherein which the subject matters are defined. these should be kept
separated, and are kept separated in most countries with a germanic
legal tradition (with one law for patents, one law for trademarks, one
law for copyrights, etc.; in the european union, we even have specific
laws for various subsets of patents, such as the biotech directive of
1998). then you also have the tools by which the beneficiaries of these
laws can ensure the maintenance of the laws - these are more generally
written in the european union and concern issues of evidence disclosure,
data storage, due process, who is able to request what at what time.

in the second instance, i find it highly problematic that we are giving
better rights to certain beneficiaries of specific laws than we give to
most citizens who are disadvantaged by other circumstances around them
(for instance). i also believe that some of the principles we extend to
all these beneficiaries, regardless of which law they benefit from, are
highly inappropriate.

best regards,

amelia