[pp.int.general] What is democracy in a party

Antonio Garcia ningunotro at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 4 23:26:47 CET 2013

Andrew,

The 2012 PPI GA was an almost complete failure on many aspects, and neither the Board nor the Court of Arbitration have shown much aptitude for duly and diligently performing their tasks.

The consequences are something we will probably have to suffer for quite some time, impacting on our ability to internationally organize and be of mutual assistance to each other.

But that being said... I see no way to actually label a non-EU General Assembly of PPI as responsible behaviour. It would force way too many people to incur in expensive travel costs. Something more sensible might be to establish a solidarity mechanism whereby all delegates have equal costs and the fee is established in such a way that those closer to the premises pay a surplus that can be used to subsidize the costs of those that have no alternative than to come from further away.

Optimization would then be to try to keep total cost of travel and lodging as low as possible.

At some point organizing the PPI GA out of Europe could become efficient cost-wise, or interested parties could subsidize the difference between the cost-efficient solution and their preferred one... putting the money where their mouth is.

Organizing a PPI GA out of Europe has not only to do with finding a suitable location... it has much more to do with people finding the funds to travel to wherever it is to be held.

It can not be that deciders become only those that have money to travel around at will, considering the increased amount of international meetings being arranged lately. Meetings with little in the line of practical results, and very bad structure and timing, to add insult to injury, making thm less and less interesting for intelligent people to attend.

Antonio.