[pp.int.general] Bullshit EU consultation

Amelia Andersdotter teirdes at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 22:19:03 CET 2013

  Dear Richard,

On 2013-01-04 21:01, Richard Stallman wrote:
> I am having trouble correlating
> http://ameliaandersdotter.eu/2012/12/17/commission-ipred-consultation-answering-guide-citizens-w-copyrights/
> with the consultation questionnaire, which is entitled
> "Civil enforcement of intellectual property rights:
> publc consultation on the efficiency of proceedings and
> accessibility of measures".  The suggestion page talks
> about "Questionnaire, page 1" and I can't even see
> what that could mean.
>
> The questions in this one are so narrowly targeted on enforcing these
> unrelated laws for profit that it's hard for me to see any answers I
> could give.  It asks me the "value" of my "IPR portfolio".  The FSF
> holds copyrights, but we don't think of them as a "portfolio", and I
> can't value them in money.  How much is everyone's freedom to share
> GCC worth in euros?  It asks us to "evaluate the significance" of them
> in terms of "performance and growth".  No answer to that either.
> It asks how infringement impacts the "value" and "investment".
> I can't answer that either.
>
> Are we talking about two different surveys?

I think that the answer you gave above is a perfectly valid answer. You
do indeed hold a large amount of copyrights but you do not relate to
them in their monetary terms, but in their value for the work that is
being undertaken by your association.

However, as I explained, you may find that it is appropriate for you to
answer some questions differently from what we have recommended. The
FSF, and even you personally, are not European citizens and therefore
can't be "citizens with copyrights" or "citizens without copyright".

On the first page of the survey - you must write to the Commission and
request that they send you a link to the survey (this is explained in
the instructions) - you will fill in in what capacity you are answering
the consultation. If you answer as an "organisation" (FSF) or as "other"
(you personally, as an American citizen), the questions you will get are
slightly different. They will however be more close to the questionnaire
you would get as a citizen WITH copyrights than as a citizen WITHOUT
copyrights.

I have explained some of the differences in a previous e-mail, but we
have no published guides for organisations or "others" since we presumed
it to be relevant for the vast majority of our target audience. The FSF
should also have sufficient resources to work out their own responses.

Potentially, you should request that FSFE try to make a response for
this consultation. If you wish to see the different questionnaires
presented to different types of entities, this is possible after you've
requested the questionnaire link from the COmmission. You can flip
between different types of questionnaires as long as you don't "submit"
your final responses by clicking on the "submit" button which is at the
bottom of both page 1 and 2 of the questionnaire, in the link that the
COmmission transmits to you.

If you wish to know more about how consultations are interpreted by the
Commission, there is an explanatory text at the bottom of the blog post
which contains the suggested answers.

best regards,

Amelia