[pp.int.general] Aaron Swartz Commits Suicide > two projects

Patrick Maechler v/o Valio pirate at valio.ch
Sat Jan 12 17:38:56 CET 2013

Zitat von eduardo at partidopirata.com.ar:
> So sad:
> http://mashable.com/2013/01/12/aaron-swartz-suicide/
> Can we do any tribute to him?

I was very sad as well when I heard about this today (certainly more
than it might appear in this mail).
It reminded me of Florian Hufsky's suicide.

I try now to transform my bitterness about this into 2 projects and
I'm looking for supporters. They are both linked to required (mental)
health changes related due to digitalization, because I am quite
certain that there are.

1. I will write a proposal for my party regarding possible suicide
prevention policies. I was told that Ung Pirat (PP-SE) has already
such policies in place.
2. I'd like to co-found a transnational collective that is interested
in this topic and spreading possible prevention actions on these
issues; possibly on a scientific-educational and self-help basis. I
just registered live-long-and-prosper.org for that.

I recall that I read about studies that e.g. indicate a link between
depression and a lack of face2face interaction & vision; but this is
for another day.

I admit that this probably appears to be all on a activist basis, but
I think it's would be a "crime" not trying to do actively do anything
on that basis as (given that there is a link between to digitalization
and depression/suicide)
A) we need to address this issue politically as pirates
B) we really DO wanna prevent to let that happen again or to quote Cory [1]:
---
Because whatever problems Aaron was facing, killing himself didn't
solve them. Whatever problems Aaron was facing, they will go unsolved
forever. If he was lonely, he will never again be embraced by his
friends. If he was despairing of the fight, he will never again rally
his comrades with brilliant strategies and leadership. If he was
sorrowing, he will never again be lifted from it.
---

If you are willing to help me with this in any way, please do not
hesitate to contact me.
This is not at all something I intend do for getting credits; in fact
getting credits is the least I want (if you want to be a forerunner &
do it good, you're more than welcome to take this over, even if you do
it for credits); it is something I do because I would *really* hate
myself, if a similar incident happens again and I wouldn't have at
least tried...

regards
-pat

[1] http://boingboing.net/2013/01/12/rip-aaron-swartz.html