[pp.int.general] Aaron Swartz Commits Suicide

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Sat Jan 12 20:02:59 CET 2013

I didn't know Swartz personally, so I have no knowledge about the
extent to which he was depressed, independent of his legal situation.
But apparently that alone wasn't enough to kill him.

Having a tendency depression does not mean one is impervious to
reality.  The reality of the US attack against him surely contributed
to how depressed he felt.

So we have reason to think the US government drove Swartz to it.  This
was not murder; the US did not aim to kill him, only to ruin his life
on behalf of the copyright industry.  But it probably did kill him.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation