[pp.int.general] ISPs shaping our behavior

Jelena Jovanovic jelena.the.one at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 12:48:18 CET 2013

Hello!

I have just shared on our Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/ppinternational amusing  ruling of German
court (Federal
Court of Justice in Karlsruhe) against ISP.
In short, German court ruled on Thursday that people have the* right to
claim compensation from service providers if their Internet access is
disrupted, because the Internet is an "essential" part of life*.You can
read the news on Reuters website
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/24/us-germany-internet-idUSBRE90N15H20130124(and
share <3)
Here in my country sometimes happens that ISP support agents send a note to
the user saying one has made copyright infringements.
*
*
*Original (Serbian)*

> *Kao administrator  EUneta,  zelim  da  Vas  obavestim  da smo dobili
> prijavu od strane nosioca autorskih prava da se sa Vaseg naloga preduzimaju
> aktivnosti koje nisu u skladu sa uobicajenim standardima i pravilima
> ponasanja na Internetu.
> Prema nasim saznanjima u konkretnom slucaju doslo je do:
> [Krsenje autorskih prava - 29.12.2012.]*

Do you have similar experiences?
Here only one ISP is sending this kind of notice, and I believe many of our
Pirates wouldn't even need a lawyer to explain that downloading for private
use  is not violating any copyright law, either makes financial damage to
distributors. Some industry debates are ongoing for cca 1 year and people
from film industry and their agencies so far seem more interested in how
can they make their masterpieces available online for shopping then they
are interested in real troll-war or any kind of judicial mess with Pirate
movement.

You are probably familiar with  case of DMCA agency with "Ombudsman" in
their name who tried to sue bloggers and even Karl Bilt :) for copyright
infringement  in Sweden
http://piratetimes.net/bloggers-sued-for-copyright-infringement-pp-membership-evidence-of-guilt/

Are Pirates all over the world getting this kind of notices? What do you do
with them? Are people approaching to you for advice, what do you say?  If
ISPs are shaping online behavior do they have a right to ask for money also
or only court can decide on reimbursement for copyright violation?

Have a nice day

Jelena Jovanović
PPI board member 2012/2013