[pp.int.general] Basic income - how does that fit into the pirate ideology?

Jack Allnutt j.allnutt at pirateparty.org.uk
Fri Jul 12 18:58:17 CEST 2013

If we're talking about a minimum wage, it's not that simple. Wage
slavery is a real problem. Plus there's then the problem of it being
more economical to *not* work, and collect unemployment benefits etc.

If we're talking about having a job *in addition to* receiving a basic
income, then I think your right. The incentive is that you get extra
money for working whatever the wage is.

I guess the typical rebuttal is that the price of labour is no longer
distorted by a minimum wage and that labour will be priced according to
supply and demand on the labour market just like any other good or service.

One of the ideas behind a basic income is that it would *intentionally*
reduce the supply of labour in to the market. It frees people up to
invest their time and energy into causes that don't (immediately) return
a profit. Charities and other voluntary projects, politics, caring for
relatives or friends, education, entrepreneurship etc.

- -- Jack

On 12/07/2013 17:40, Travis McCrea wrote:
> I have never heard of this argument… in reality it has no basis. If a company was paying you less
than basic income, you would just not take the job, or you could quit
the job.