[pp.int.general] Fwd: Really now?

Marco Confalonieri marco.confalonieri at email.it
Fri Jun 7 15:06:24 CEST 2013

Il 07/06/2013 13:21, Gregory Engels ha scritto:
> Nobody could explained it to you,
>
> dear Patrik,
>
> because it is simply not true.
>
> ALL PPI Mailinglists are run on own infrastructure.
>
> But if you have any concerns about that this could obstruct any intelligence agency from
> reading the contents of that list, I must ensure you, that all communication (including
> and especially of political nature) is public, and everybody with a valid email address
> can subscribe to all lists, including an email hosted on google

Hi Gregory,

I agree with you that the privacy concerns are not founded for the
general mailing list, being public, and could also have a little meaning
to the pp-leaders and other PPI "service" MLs, being institutional
channels of communication.

However, Patrick's objection brought to my mind that PPI officers mail
addresses are hosted under Gmail. In this case I think that there's an
issue, since it is likely that, with the Pirate Movement constantly
expanding, Pirate Parties International public officers will be more and
more be contacted by activists around the world, presumably at their
institutional mail addresses, and the email exchanges could be
interesting for the agencies of western countries, that in many cases
showed more sympathy for dictatorial regimes and mercenary units trying
to pass as liberation armies than for genuine freedom activists.

While it is true that private emails should always be encrypted, email
subjects and sender addresses could be enough to put people's lives in
danger. Moreover, in many cases people involved in "offline" political
battles could be not aware of the dangers of unencrypted Internet
communication.

I do not believe there is a simple solution to this general problem,
however I think that we could start a discussion looking for them.

Warm regards,

--
Marco Confalonieri