[pp.int.general] pirate logo copyright

Loïc Grobol loic.grobol at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 14:07:11 CEST 2013

On 10 June 2013 13:38, Eduardo Robles Elvira <edulix at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 1:23 PM, Jean Fleury <jean.fleury at yopmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Pirates,
>>
>> Following no discussion and to everybody's surprise, we of the high french
>> pirate council have decided to copyright the name Parti Pirate and the black
>> sail logo with the INPI (inpi.fr). pic.twitter.com/MCk34aEfmA
>>
>> We will not tolerate forks or ideological disagreement amongst us.
>>
>> Ahoy,
>> Jean Fleury
>

> The sarcastic tone of Jean's email here (and previous one) makes me think he
> is trying to criticize the french pirate council for those alledged actions.
> Or maybe the council itself is doing this as a way to do some kind of
> virus-marketing campaign spread among pirate movement.
>
> Regards,
> Eduardo

Hi
This mail from “Jean Fleury” is essentially FUD. Here are the facts

  - As acted in the board meeting of 2013-05-28, PPFR has registered a
trademark on “Parti Pirate”, “PP” and “PPFR” and our national logo
    - [Board minutes](https://wiki.partipirate.org/wiki/BN:Compte-rendu_de_la_r%C3%A9union_du_Bureau_National_du_28_mai_2013#D.C3.A9p.C3.B4t_de_la_marque_.22Parti_Pirate.22)
    - [Registration at
INPI](http://bases-marques.inpi.fr/Typo3_INPI_Marques/getPdf?idObjet=3996711_201318_fmark)

This has been debated transparently among the board and any French
Pirate (and since almost everything we do is public on our wiki,
effectively anyone) could have been informed of it. Nevertheless,
there are some (not entirely unjustified) complains that Pirates have
not had enough information on this issue, and there are [extensive
debates among us on our (again, public)
forum](http://forum.partipirate.org/discussions/marque-parti-pirate-deposee-inpi-t10767.html).

There have also been proposals to make a common trademark
registrations with all interested PP at WIPO.

THIS IS NOT MEANT AS AN OFFENSIVE WEAPON. We just wanted to protect
our party from hijacking by malvolent individuals or organisations (as
have already happened in other countries). We won't ever use it to
harm any other organisation that is not obviously a scam only meant to
discredit or harm us.

LG

--
Loïc Grobol.