[pp.int.general] pirate logo copyright

Maxime Rouquet maxime.rouquet at partipirate.org
Mon Jun 10 15:56:52 CEST 2013

On 06/10/2013 01:23 PM, Jean Fleury wrote:
> Dear Pirates,
>
> Following no discussion and to everybody's surprise, we of the high
> french pirate council have decided to copyright the name Parti Pirate
> and the black sail logo with the INPI (inpi.fr).
> pic.twitter.com/MCk34aEfmA
>
> We will not tolerate forks or ideological disagreement amongst us.
>
> Ahoy,
> Jean Fleury

Dear "Jean Fleury",

Please, read first this short text from Richard Stallman that reminds
the need of not mixing up copyright, patents, trademarks and other stuff :
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/not-ipr.en.html

Second, the Parti Pirate logo (not the black sail alone which is in
public domain, the green and pink PARTI PIRATE logo) is indeed protected
with _copyright_, but it has been the case since its drawing, and this
is what enables the Creative Commons "BY" _licence_ on it.

As far as I know the PP does not wish to recognise copyright, patent or
trademark on _ideas_, but it has long forbidden in its rules of
procedure to anybody to present themselves or their organisation as a
Pirate Party member if they do not respect the Pirate ideas. Therefore
it is normal that it seeks to extend that protection to non-members also.

If you want to criticize something, please do it smartly. Protecting the
name and the identity of the party is logical. Doing it by paying the
Institut National de la Propriété Intellectuelle (French's WIPO
equivalent) is more questionable.

Most people would answer to you developing on the fact that, as a
political party aiming to change the law, you need to play by the
existing rules first. But at least we would have a real debate.

Regards,

Maxime