[pp.int.general] pirate logo copyright

Markus Drenger markus.drenger at piratenpartei-hessen.de
Mon Jun 10 16:33:09 CEST 2013

On 10.06.13 16:07, Rick Falkvinge (Piratpartiet) wrote:
> This would appear even more puzzling on first sight, as trademarks
> apply to commercial operations (of a specified class) and not at all
> to politicla parties. What am I missing?
a) trademarks do not only apply to commercial operations, because
trademark holders have the right to ban everybody from using their
sign/logo (within broadly defined classes). if somebody would register
our sign he/she would be able to sue the party

b) parties sometimes to commercial operations. e.g. the pirate party
germany has a special department for selling ads, merchandising
materials etc for tax/ accounting reasons

if somebody else was to register our sign as a trademark, we would
(depending on nice class) not be able to make tshirts or promote events
for ourselves

class definitions can be found at
http://www.wipo.int/classifications/nice/en/classifications.html
german trademark of the word "Piratenpartei
https://register.dpma.de/DPMAregister/marke/register/3020100170328/DE
registered for classes 16,25,35,38,41

sincerely,
Markus