[pp.int.general] Minutes of PPI GA 2013

Zbigniew Łukasiak zzbbyy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 07:44:24 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 5:37 AM, Antonio Garcia <ningunotro at hotmail.com> wrote:
> It feels like it is useless to argue.
>
> The abstentions that do not count towards the vote for the election of the
> members of the CoA are those of the members of the PPI that did not care to
> show up to participate, be it sending a delegate or having delegated their
> vote to someone present. This is, if PPI had 50 members with voting rights
> then 50% approval would need 26 votes, unless abstentions did not count and
> only the 16 represented at the exact time and place the voting was organized
> were taken into account.

The wikipedia definition of abstention in parliamentary procedure (and
I believe this was one) states that it is about delegates that are
present but not voting:

Abstention is a term in election procedure for when a participant in a
vote either does not go to vote (on election day) or, in parliamentary
procedure, is present during the vote, but does not cast a ballot.
Abstention must be contrasted with "blank vote", in which a voter
casts a ballot willfully made invalid by marking it wrongly or by not
marking anything at all.

> Then, the candidates have to achieve a simple majority of "yes" votes from
> the members present and voting. All of them have to obtain at least 9 votes,
> which is the simple majority of the 16 present. Abstentions do not count...
> in the sense that if only 10 cast votes on one specific candidate... the six
> remaining are not subtracted... he still has to achieve 9 yes votes to be
> in.

I don't know any procedure where there was some subtracting of votes -
so this interpretation sound suspicious to me.  I think the only
reasonable interpretation is that the abstention don't count towards
the total number of votes as in the 'simple majority' requirement.

--
Zbigniew Lukasiak
http://brudnopis.blogspot.com/